Pirates Discussion: Jose Quintana Goes For the Series Win Against the Cubs

The Pittsburgh Pirates and Chicago Cubs have put up a lot of offense the last three days.

The Pirates won the first two games of this four game series by a 19-2 score. The Cubs turned the tables last night, winning 14-5.

Jose Quintana (3.66 ERA, 64 IP) takes the mound today, going up against Cubs starter Justin Steele (4.27 ERA, 59 IP).

Today’s game starts at 12:35 PM EST. We will post lineups when they are available.

LINEUPS:

Pirates

Cubs

PROSPECT WATCH

DAILY VIDEO RUNDOWN

PIRATES DISCUSSION

Most Voted Comments

Pirates Discussion
0 0 votes
Article Rating
roibert.kasperski

Heard on the way home tonight that Ke’Bryan’s brother, Charlie Jr. sent out on Social Media that he had talked to Ke’Bryan and Ke’Bryan Said that he was “Gucci”. So, sounds like good news.

jon6er

Hope that’s the case since it is more fun watching the team grow with him playing. While he’s a young guy I see him talking to the younger guys who just came up all the time. He and Reynolds have a lot in common in the sense they aren’t rah rah guys but I’m sure the young guys see there hustle and never taking a play off as a way to success.

adicesa14

It’s very hard to watch this team play. The number of pitches (walks) by Pirate pitchers is particularly frustrating. Yet, I realize it’s growing pains. I’m just saying.

I agree with others here that the plate was unnecessarily blocked, which resulted in an injury (?) to Ke’Bryan that shouldn’t have happened. I was surprised there was no call from the umpire, and more surprised that the Pirates didn’t immediately object. Of course, it might be that I don’t understand the rule.

skliesen

Don’t feel bad, nobody understands the rule. At least they don’t call blocking the plate on force plays like they did when the rule was first instituted. Unfortunately, the rule is designed to protect the Catcher from getting hurt more than the runner. Runner is supposed to pick a lane to avoid contact. But that’s hard to do when Catcher moves his fat ass square into the base path before ball arrives like Contreras did yesterday.

roibert.kasperski

Hayes was already ruled safe so the blocking rule was moot. Did not see as was in the car driving but apparently some Pirates players did go towards the Cubs dugout and apparently doing some jawing. The game was over and the series over at that point and they had won. There was more concern about Hayes and the players were there around him as opposed to worrying about the play of Contreras.

jon6er

The fact you mentioned the rule was moot since Hayes was called safe kind of defeats the purpose of the rule. Never really thought about it that way.

roibert.kasperski

The punishment pretty much awards the run to the runner and since he was ruled safe the run counted and game over. Not sure if MLB has anything like the NHL and can assess supplemental discipline or not.

RAS TN

Looking at matchups it appears that Michael Chavis should get a couple of starts…Yippee…

roibert.kasperski

If Maddon was still managing the Cubs, wonder what snarky diagnosis he would give Hayes? The rule is you can be in the baseline if you have to be there to accept the throw. Contreras was where the ball was coming to but knew he would not be able to catch the throw and make the tag in time. So he backs into the base path to block Hayes’s path to the plate and by doing so can’t even catch the ball. He had to block the throw. Clear attempt at blocking Hayes.

“I heard he had COVID.”

roibert.kasperski

Yes that would be (*@Y$@# Joe………….

Jobless Joe, to be exact.

Ok I will go with (*@Y$@# Jobless Joe.😁

skliesen

He knew exactly what he was doing. Initially stood in the correct spot, then backed into base path when he saw Hayes was going to beat throw to plate.

It was cheap as shit.

I’m sure his team sucking, his 0 for a million slump, and Cubs losing the blocking plate call all played a part in him pulling that dirty trick.

Asshole!

Bucs'N'Pucks (Jeff Reed)

The problem I’m having with straight up calling it dirty, is the fact the ball hit Contreras square in the gut. While I’m sure there was likely some intent to attempt to block the plate and he had a relative idea where he was in relation to the plate, it wasn’t like he looked back and made his move to block it. And again, it was a skipped throw that hit him square in the body.

1979andCounting

Yeah, instead of short-hopping the throw where he originally was, he backed into the baseline to make the hop a little easier catch for him. These catchers don’t have first baseman’s mitts, so these hops give em all they can handle. So it accomplished two things, it got Contreras into better position to field the hop but also blocked the plate at the same time. Wouldn’t necessarily say it was pre-meditated or dirty. But it was blocking the lane.

PirateRican21

I will say it again and again, slide feet first against a player wearing armor! I’m ok with the Posey rule, rolling over an often defenseless catcher is bullshit, but this sliding head first is not ideal, you’re exposing so many body parts to harm.

roibert.kasperski

Yup you would be correct. If the roles were reversed and it was a Cubs runner and a Bucs catcher involved in that, you know that the runner would have been fine but the Bucs catcher having his leg under him like Contreras did, he would be heading to the 60 day with a blown out knee or ankle.

PiratePrimate

Both Wisdom and Contreras are lucky that Reynolds and Hayes aren’t head hunters. If they were, both of those arschlochs would be on the 60 day IL

Last edited 11 days ago by PiratePrimate
Bucs'N'Pucks (Jeff Reed)

That play alone probably bought Vogelbach a roster spot till end of July, so he can eat them

skliesen

Great another injury due to a Cubs player being a cheap shot artist.

Mutes the thrill of victory.

1979andCounting

Just 5 minutes earlier had a challenge about the lane……Contreras didn’t let that effect him at all, just backed up directly to block KeBryan.

roibert.kasperski

Heineman actually pulled his leg back to avoid direct contact in front of the plate. Wisdom never contacted Heineman’s leg until his foot cleared the edge of the plate.

phieralph

Should’ve just trucked Contreras

John Fluharty

Hayes should have slid wide and reached for the base or gone feet first and took him out.

skliesen

He may have intended to, but it appeared he stumbled going towards home causing his weight to shift forward right as he was preparing to slide.

PirateRican21

I think VanMeter has a similar slide a month or so ago, slide feet first.

PirateRican21

Not a smart slide, head first into the catcher! Live and learn.

I’m in awe of Michael Chavis. The force is strong in him

jon6er

Now that’s an illegal blocking of the plate.

1979andCounting

I saw a couple Pirates walking towards Cubs dugout……hopefully had some words for Contreras.

That has “discomfort” turns into 60 day IL written all over it for Hayes. Ugh

1979andCounting

Just a wild guess, but I could see there being concussion protocols…..maybe missing X number of games. I think his shoulder/collarbone are good. The Pirate trainers lifted him up by tugging his arms (smart???) and bringing him to his feet….smh.

Bucs'N'Pucks (Jeff Reed)

Possible, cause concussion was my first thought upon the collision. Then he started grabbing his shoulder, so I figured that was the area in question.

Ardotcom2

That was an example of the freakin posey rule

bucsws2014

Well that wasn’t an ideal outcome.

Mblee24

Terrible at bat by Castillo.

skliesen

Chavis ties it. Chavis saves it. Now does Chavis win it?

Mblee24

He did it!

joebaseball

I think he just swung at a pitchout.

Mblee24

That would be awesome!

Mblee24

I think Chavis can be a part of this team going forward. He is a great 1st baseman and seems to be clutch. If he begins to walk more, he’s a legit starter. But I like him more as a platoon righty against lefties at first and with the skills to bounce around a little.

Let’s get a run!

jon6er

Stratton in, the odds just swung way against the Pirates.

Bucs'N'Pucks (Jeff Reed)

I was gonna give Shelton a pass. Seeing as Crowe has been consistent this season, and by all means, you trust him to be able to get through 2 innings rather smoothly. But, that was under the assumption Bednar wasn’t available. But, he’s available? Then get the out in the 8th, and worry about getting through the 9th when you’d likely still have a 3+ run cushion.

bucsws2014

Yeah, Shelton/Marin deserves blame for not acting sooner. But why is Crowe suddenly turning into a turnip like Stratton has?

Bucs'N'Pucks (Jeff Reed)

And he hadn’t pitched since the 18th, when he gave up 2 ER’s in 0.1 IP. He did look really good in the first inning, so might have to cut him back to just an inning again until a couple consecutive positive appearances. Unfortunately, like you mentioned, that would’ve likely been a Stratton situation, if not for how ineffective he’s been this season. So, ultimately, I do like that they gave Yerry a shot in that situation. Cause he’s likely to end up in that type of late inning role in the future.

PiratePrimate

How ’bout just getting a fking clue and when you see him struggle as his second inning begins, you get the hook!!!!!! Nothing is more pitiful than a manager frozen in doubt and fear and hope that a reliever is going to get an out when he’s already toast. Is that guy watching the same game I am?

Last edited 11 days ago by PiratePrimate
Bucs'N'Pucks (Jeff Reed)

That being said, I did also like giving Yerry a shot there. He’s been good, and you want to see how he does in high leverage situations. For what it’s worth, he did get 2 groundballs, that barely alluded infielders.

PirateRican21

Brought in with the bases loaded, into the fire.

Bucs'N'Pucks (Jeff Reed)

Which makes sense, given he has the second best, to Bednar, K% (not including Vieaux and his 2 appearances)

PiratePrimate

Exactly! Use the young man but don’t throw him into the fire when the house is already burning down!

Bucs'N'Pucks (Jeff Reed)

So, if not against one of the worst MLB teams in the league, in a year they’re not trying to win anything (let’s be honest), then when do you find out how he handles high leverage situations?

PiratePrimate

After the first two runners reach, get the hook!

Wham!! Another Homer!!!

skliesen

Chavis with an ambush ties it up!

phieralph

NOT YETTTT!

PiratePrimate

Shelton’s the kind of manager who, when his closer isn’t available, doesn’t trust his starter to give him a bit more, he trusts the Will Crowes of the world. Get a fking clue.

roibert.kasperski

Will Crowe has been very good this season……..

jon6er

Except for his last couple of appearances he has been good

Last edited 11 days ago by jon6er
PiratePrimate

I’m two thousand miles away and I could see he was toast when he came out for the 8th.

John Fluharty

Something tells me you would have a quick hook as a manger.

Jeff

Shelton couldn’t manage a little league game.
Horrible

phieralph

What da heck

skliesen

Pirates defense is showing their youth this inning. Two ground balls that at worst need to be knocked down are let through for base hits.

#GrowingPains

ArkyWags

Yeesh. Nice work bullpen and middle infield.

Last edited 11 days ago by ArkyWags
PiratePrimate

Chalk it up to a manager who still hasn’t figured it all out

skliesen

This is why having a player like Newman or Van Meter has a place on a roster. If nothing else they can be a late game defensive replacement.

ArkyWags

Figured what out? It shouldn’t be that hard to protect a four run lead with some other members of the bullpen.

roibert.kasperski

Crowe has been one of those guys this season.

ArkyWags

Peguro would have had it.

No bueno

joebaseball

Suddenly no MIs can catch

If Willson Contreras is on the block, the Pirates have a great SS in AA. 😎

roibert.kasperski

Not willing to give up Peguero for 2months of Contreras. He just might be the 2B now if Cruz can play the D

PiratePrimate

I was joking. Peguero is also special.

roibert.kasperski

Lol! Had me going for a second !

I’m fine with Higgins!

emjayinTN

Do not know if the question has been asked, but Q’s ERA is the lowest since his 2016 year with the CWS, who are an experienced LHSP short (Keuchel). Do they make the first overture to the Pirates?

Closer to today’s action, do they give Stratton a shot?

PirateRican21

Nope, it has to be Bednar.

emjayinTN

I meant in the 8th, and then turn it over to Bednar for the 9th. Thought it might be a good opportunity to give Stratton a chance to gain confidence and get back on the right track.

skliesen

Cubs D is stands for disastrous.

We can send them Yoshi to help.

PiratePrimate

Cubs are destined to be in the cellar. And well deserved

PiratePrimate

That play from Cruz is what I hadn’t seen from him. If he can just make the routine plays, his bat and range will win him gold gloves.

John Fluharty

He just needs reps. Jack Wilson was a bit wild when he came up IIRC.

Bucs'N'Pucks (Jeff Reed)

That’s largely what has been the problem. He’d make a play like that, then get an easy grounder, double crow hop, and then throw the ball into the next county.

PirateRican21

Exactly this, last year I watched a lot of Altoona on stream, and my opinion is that his glove is good enough, the throws is the question mark, I guess when you have 6” fingers ( a guess) is hard to quickly grip a ball.

Gold glove?!!!

I think we all will be happy if he shows enough to not be a liability or injury prone playing SS.

PiratePrimate

We’re standing witness in the presence of someone special

Last edited 12 days ago by PiratePrimate
Bucs'N'Pucks (Jeff Reed)

So, does Suwinski get a DRS for that? lol cause he “robbed” a HR, just didn’t complete the catch. So effectively turned a HR into just a double

skliesen

I vote for Jack and Cruz to both get a DRS that inning.

And you get a DRS, and you get a DRS. Just call me Oprah of MLB.

Ardotcom2

He should but not sure it works that way

Bucs'N'Pucks (Jeff Reed)

I can’t speak to the exact calculation, but I believe it does calculate in some capacity bases “saved” (I think there’s a specific term, but I can’t recall at the moment) for OF’s. Such that it positively reflects OF’s with the better arms because runners tend to not attempt to take an extra base depending where it’s hit.

Last edited 12 days ago by Bucs'N'Pucks (Jeff Reed)
PiratePrimate

Suwinski just saved a run!

roibert.kasperski

Happy Crowe Day Y’all!!!!!

![]comment image)_

skliesen

Justin Steele busy throwing himself a pity party behind home plate while ball sits near him long enough to allow Tyler Heineman to get all the way to 3rd on a single to CF.

PiratePrimate

I’m feeling so sorry for Cub fans. It must be horrible to spend an afternoon watching a team that doesn’t give a shit.

Yeah, I feel real bad.

roibert.kasperski

No sorrow from me only because of all the shots we have taken from the Cubs fans since the 90’s

skliesen

Cruz just hit an absolute seed on a low, outer third fastball on an 0-2 count off the CF fence.

Dude is just a FREAK!

Bucs'N'Pucks (Jeff Reed)

Not many players that can send a ball like that on essentially a safety swing lol

Ardotcom2

Cruz definitely thought he hit a homer there

Had to be north of 110 mph exit velo

Ardotcom2

It was a lazer beam

PirateRican21

Funny, Steele has hung several sliders, but none against Cruz!

Take that!

skliesen

Quintana showing why he should’ve been given an option year when he signed last winter. Instead he’s all but certain to be dealt next month.

Pirates will be lucky to get this type of productivity from whatever vet they sign next winter.

PiratePrimate

But I doubt his agent would have agreed to an option without the Pirates offering real money and it’s clear Nickles doesn’t roll that way.

skliesen

Cubs defense is in rebuild mode.

PirateRican21

Hoping for a 5 year plan!

skliesen

Reynolds got lucky. He assumed he could walk into 3rd, and was fortunate he didn’t get hurt.

PiratePrimate

Wisdom got lucky that Reynolds didn’t slide in hard and shred Wisdom

PirateRican21

He still got clip, but yeah it could had been worse.

Catch_22

That would smart

Catch_22

I’m not watching the game and would love to know how Suwinski is looking in the box. From my looks since the 3 HR game, he’s been trying to hit homeruns every ab. When he’s on, he’s real quiet in the box, very little movement.

skliesen

He had two good pitches to hit in his 3rd AB, he just missed them. Didn’t appear to be selling out for the long ball. Swing looked good to me.

PirateRican21

Steele has been tough on the lefties, his seen mostly breaking pitches and is fouling them, foul tipping them so his almost on them. But still not able to square them.

skliesen

I haven’t watched closely enough to tell you why he’s 0 for 2, but generally speaking, he has been pitched tough by Steele.

skliesen

Good job by Q pitching around the lead off double to get out of the 5th inning unscathed.

Now let’s get him some insurance offense.

PiratePrimate

Is it possible that Oneil Cruz is from the future? He seems other worldly, until you throw him a slow curve. This world can be tough on hitters.

roibert.kasperski

Eh, learning curve for a youngster. I have confidence that he will learn to adjust and hit the curve or learn to lay off of it.

WHAM!!! Another homerz!!!!!!

AdministrativeSky236

KE BOMB!

AdministrativeSky236

Chavis continues to improve his defense at first, some very nice picks in the last several days

PirateRican21

We need a lefty that fields the same way or at least hits a ton better, I still say that Mitchell is the best candidate to be move there, he has a weak arm and the other outfielders are better fielder.

Last edited 12 days ago by PirateRican21