TOP OF THE SYSTEM
A look at how the current top 30 prospects did today. Note that this list doesn’t include players currently in the majors. If a player is in the majors, he will be removed, everyone below him will be shifted up a spot, and a new player will be added to the bottom of the list. If a player is out for the season, he will be removed and everyone below him will move up a spot. Removing these guys doesn’t mean they have lost prospect status. It is just an attempt to get 30 active prospects on the list. Rankings are from early season update, and links on each name go to their Pirates Prospects player pages.
1. Tyler Glasnow, RHP, Altoona – DNP
2. Jameson Taillon, RHP, Indianapolis – Disabled List
3. Austin Meadows, CF, Bradenton – DNP
4. Josh Bell, 1B, Altoona – 1-for-3
5. Reese McGuire, C, Bradenton – DNP
6. Nick Kingham, RHP, Indianapolis – Disabled List
7. Alen Hanson, 2B, Indianapolis – Disabled List
8. Cole Tucker, SS, West Virginia – DNP
9. Elias Diaz, C, Indianapolis – 2-for-5, 2 R, 2B
10. Mitch Keller, RHP, Extended Spring Training
11. Harold Ramirez, OF, Bradenton – DNP
12. Stephen Tarpley, LHP, West Virginia – DNP
13. JaCoby Jones, SS, Bradenton – DNP
14. Adrian Sampson, RHP, Indianapolis – DNP
15. Trey Supak, RHP, Extended Spring Training
16. Gage Hinsz, RHP, Extended Spring Training
17. Barrett Barnes, OF, Bradenton – DNP
18. Clay Holmes, RHP, Bradenton – Disabled List
19. Cody Dickson, LHP, Bradenton – DNP
20. Willy Garcia, OF, Indianapolis – 1-for-4, 3B, 2 RBI, BB
21. John Holdzkom, RHP, Indianapolis – 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 0 HR
22. Jordan Luplow, 3B, West Virginia – DNP
23. Connor Joe, 1B, West Virginia – DNP
24. Wyatt Mathisen, 3B, Bradenton – DNP
25. Casey Sadler, RHP, Indianapolis – DNP
26. Steven Brault, LHP, Altoona – 4.1 IP, 10 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 0 HR
27. Tito Polo, OF, West Virginia – DNP
28. Tyler Eppler, RHP, Bradenton – DNP
29. Luis Heredia, RHP, Bradenton – DNP
30. Taylor Gushue, C, West Virginia – DNP
Top Pitcher: Jeremy Bleich, LHP – 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 0 HR
Top Hitter: Huascar Fuentes, 3B – 2-for-4, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, 2 HBP, 2 R
Home Runs: Brent Morel (4), Gorkys Hernandez (4)
AAA: INDIANAPOLIS INDIANS
Result: Charlotte 6, Indianapolis 5
Starting Pitcher: Angel Sanchez, RHP – 5.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 3 HR
Top Hitter: Willy Garcia, RF – 1-for-4, 3B, 2 RBI, BB
Other Notable Performers:
Gorkys Hernandez, CF – 1-for-3, HR, RBI, BB
Elias Diaz, C – 2-for-5, 2B, 2 R
Keon Broxton, LF – 1-for-4, 2 BB, SB
Game Notes: Angel Sanchez made his first start since being promoted to Indianapolis earlier in the week. After seeing a lot of success with Altoona this season, his first Triple-A start did not go quite as well. While he allowed four runs and three home runs, they were all in the first three innings. His final two innings of work were scoreless. He also struck out three and walked four.
AA: ALTOONA CURVE
Result: Harrisburg 4, Altoona 0
Starting Pitcher: Steven Brault, LHP – 4.1 IP, 10 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 0 HR
Top Hitter: Jacob Stallings, C – 2-for-3, 2B
Other Notable Performers:
Josh Bell, 1B – 1-for-3
Mel Rojas Jr., CF – 1-for-2, BB
Game Notes: Steven Brault made his Double-A debut for the Curve, only going 4.1 innings while allowing four earned runs. He gave up four singles in both the first and third inning. He was not really getting hit for anything deep, but Harrisburg consistently reached base on balls hit in the short gap.
Brault’s breaking pitches were hit pretty hard in the short outing. He had the most success when he was able to work fastballs inside to hitters, but he was not able to consistently do that. It seemed like he tried to elevate his fastball in the zone; however, the movement of his 2-seamer did not fool any of the Harrisburg batters. Overall, he was not able to hit his spots well all game.
You can take away a positive in the fact that Harrisburg didn’t have any extra base hits against Brault in his Double-A debut. Now that the nerves will be settled from this debut, it will be interesting to see how he responds in his next appearance.
The Curve were shut out for the first time in 2015, being one of only three teams in all of professional baseball to not be shut out going into the game today. They were not able to string together any hits all evening. Jacob Stallings is the only Curve batter to have a multi-hit game, going 2-for-3 with a double. The double was hit to deep left-center field, and the single was a hard hit ball that couldn’t be fielded cleanly by the shortstop.
The second game of the doubleheader was rained out, and the Curve will make up the game on Monday. – Sean McCool
A+: BRADENTON MARAUDERS
Bradenton was off on Friday for the All-Star break.
The North All-Stars won 6-0 on Saturday night. JaCoby Jones pinch-hit in the fifth and had a two-run triple. Reese McGuire added an RBI single. Austin Meadows and Jin-De Jhang didn’t play.
A: WEST VIRGINIA POWER
The Power were rained out on Saturday. The game has been canceled, therefore will not be made up in the schedule.
A: WEST VIRGINIA BLACK BEARS
Saturday’s game was postponed. They will play a doubleheader on Sunday.
RK: DSL PIRATES
Result: Pirates 9, Yankees2 8
Starting Pitcher: Yerry De Los Santos, RHP – 4.0 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 0 HR
Top Hitter: Huascar Fuentes, 3B – 2-for-4, 2B, 3B, RBI, 2 HBP, 2 R
Other Notable Performers:
Mikell Granberry, 1B – 3-for-5, RBI, BB
Gabriel Brito, DH – 2-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI, BB
Jeremias Portorreal, RF – 1-for-3, 3 BB, RBI
Game Notes: The Pirates seem to only play one-run games lately and Saturday was no different. Trailing 8-6 going into the ninth inning, they put three runs on the board and reliever Ramon Garcia held on for the win. The Pirates had no trouble getting on base, collecting 14 hits and ten walks. Huascar Fuentes had a double, triple and was hit by two pitches. He is hitting .375 this season and already has eight doubles and six triples. Fuentes has driven in a team-leading 19 runs. Mikell Granberry had three hits and a walk, raising his average to .317 through 14 games. Jeremias Portorreal and Melvin Jimenez both drew three walks.