The Pittsburgh Pirates have outrighted infielder Russ Canzler to Triple-A, per MLBTR. Canzler was placed on waivers earlier in the week to clear 40-man space for Marlon Byrd and John Buck. He was originally acquired via trade over the summer from the Orioles in exchange for Tim Alderson. Canzler has a history of hitting lefties, and he could be an option off the bench in September. However, now that he’s off the 40-man, he doesn’t seem to have an inside track. Matt Hague hits lefties well, and has been doing better than Canzler this year, so Hague could pass him if the Pirates wanted another lefty hitting infielder.
Russ Canzler Outrighted to Triple-A
- This Date in Pittsburgh Pirates History, September 18th, Harvey Haddix
- Card of the Day: 1975 Topps Ken Brett
- This Date in Pittsburgh Pirates History: September 17th, Sheriff, Whitey and Wildfire
- Card of the Day: 1960 Topps Jim Umbricht
- This Date in Pittsburgh Pirates History: September 16th, Stargell Debuts