Moments ago we heard from Rob Biertempfel that the Pirates were close to a deal with Ronny Cedeno for around $2 M. Dejan Kovacevic has an update that the Pirates are also close to a deal with Jeff Karstens on a one year deal to avoid arbitration. Karstens was the only player who was believed to be on the bubble, at the risk of being non-tendered. No word on his contract details yet, although I’d be surprised if it’s much over $1 M. I estimated $750,000 on the 40-man roster/payroll page.
Pirates Sign Jeff Karstens for $1.1 M
- Prospect Watch: Greensboro Plays for the Title
- Prospect Watch: Greensboro Take the Loss, Will Play for Championship on Tuesday in Game Five
- Prospect Roundtable: Henry Davis or Oneil Cruz as the Pirates’ Top Prospect?
- Prospect Watch: Greensboro Moves Within One Game of Title; Indianapolis Scores 17 Runs
- Prospect Watch: Indianapolis Gets Bombed in the Day’s Only Action
- This Date in Pittsburgh Pirates History: September 28th, Grant Jackson and Louis Bierbauer
- Card of the Day: 1888 N172 Old Judge Louis Bierbauer
- This Date in Pittsburgh Pirates History: September 27th, Pirates Clinch Their Third Straight Division Title
- Card of the Day: 1956 Topps Dick Hall
- This Date in Pittsburgh Pirates History, September 26th, First (Unofficial) No-Hitter