Indians And Scranton Suspended


(Photo: �Neil Walker on first base with Doug Bernier doing coaching duties.)

The Indians caught up again in the 3rd inning. �With one out, SS Argenis Diaz slipped a single through the hole on the right side of the infield. �Jose Tabata walked for the second time, and Neil Walker loaded the bases with a bloop single into left field. �Bryan Myrow again stepped up, driving in Diaz and Tabata with a single into right field. �Walker raced from first around to third base, sliding in half a step ahead of the throw in from RF Reid Gorecki.

A wild pitch from Nova moved Myrow up to second base, though the ball only got a few feet onto the grass beyond the dirt around the plate, so Walker did not try to advance from third base. �Pedro Alvarez rocketed a line right back at Nova, striking him on his left ankle or foot. �Nova went stumbling off the mound, unable to even try to pick up the ball and make a play. �Walker scored and Myrow went to third, as 3B Cusick scrambled to the mound to field the ball, though Alvarez was already safe at first.

IMG_3300Nova had to leave the game, so the Yankees got to take as much time as they needed to get reliever Kei Igawa warmed up. �Brandon Moss grounded sharply to the 2B Corona, who first had the ball hit his glove and drop behind him. �He had time only to throw to second, forcing out Alvarez, leaving Moss at first. �A fly out ended the inning, but the Indians had taken a 5-3 lead.

(Photo: Dean Traynor discusses with Luke Carlin (behind) and Jeremy Powell)

By this time, the rain had increased from a gently sprinkle to a pretty serious downpour, and the Diamond Dry was not helping a lot. �Powell got the first out easily, then the next five batters reached base safely. �Gorecki doubled into left field, with the ball getting past LF Kevin Melillo’s desperate dive. �Cusick singled through the hole and into right field. �Moss fired the ball back to the infield, as Gorecki rounded third and headed for the plate. �The throw went on-target to C Luke Carlin, but Gorecki reached the plate before the ball did. �Powell walked Greg Golson on four pitches, then Corona drilled a single into left field, which took an unexpected hop on the wet grass and got past Melillo. �It was ruled both a single and an error on Melillo, and it brought in Cusick (no RBI), to tie the score at 5-5. �SS Eduardo Nunez lined a single into center field, scoring Golson to take the lead. �Nunez rounded first base and might have taken second, but he slipped and fell on the infield dirt, just scrambling back to first base in time.

IMG_3302That was all for Powell. �Steven Jackson (photo) came on in relief, and began with a strike out of David Winfree for the second out of the inning. �Then Jon Weber lifted a double over Jose Tabata’s head and all the way to the center field wall, bringing in both Corona and Nunez. �When the inning ended on a ground out to short, the Yankees had an 8-5 lead. �Powell was responsible for all 8 runs, on 7 hits, with 3 walks and a strikeout.

Play was stopped at that point, and eventually the game was suspended. �It’s still raining, and it’s been a few hours now.

If the rain has stopped by Friday afternoon (that’s not a sure thing), then this game will resume at 5:30 pm. �This game will be finished as a 9-inning game. �The game scheduled for Friday will be played after the first game is finished, and that game will be 7 innings.

Photos: �Left — Brandon Moss makes a running catch in the outfield; �Right — Neil Walker was at first base tonight.



Photo: �The relief corps abandons the bullpen for the dry dugout


Go Tribe!

(Photos by Nancy)

Most Voted Comments