Less than two days until Opening Day at PNC Park, where the Pirates will face the Philadelphia Phillies at 1:05 PM on Thursday, April 5.
The Pirates open their season at PNC Park for the just the second time in the last seven years and only the fourth time in the park’s 12-year history. The team will face the Phillies for a three-game series before departing for a nine-game west coast road trip. The Pirates are 6-0 against the Phillies in Opening Day games.
Here is a breakdown of Opening Day info as well as what is new at PNC Park this season:
- Gates will open at 11:30 a.m. with pregame ceremonies scheduled to begin at approximately 12:40 p.m.
- The Pirates strongly encourage fans, especially families, to arrive as early as possible as downtown parking and lots close to PNC Park will become filled early on the day of the Home Opener. The following parking and traffic information will be helpful to those fans coming to the game, as well as downtown commuters
- The Roberto Clemente Bridge will close to vehicular traffic beginning at 10 a.m.
- All parking lots and garages on the North Shore are closed to commuter traffic.
- North Shore parking near PNC Park will open at 9:30 a.m. (with event rates).
- For downtown commuters, a new option this season for fans is the free “T” service offered by the Port Authority from the four Golden Triangle stations, as well as the Allegheny Station outside of Heinz Field, to the North Side Station just outside of PNC Park’s Trib-Total Media Home Plate Gate.
- Fans can also park at any of the following locations: River Avenue lots, Carnegie Science Center Lots, Fulton Avenue Lot, Rivers Casino Parking Garage (over 21 years old).
April 4, 2012 (Pirates Workout from 3-5:00 p.m.)
The Pirates first workout of 2012 at PNC Park will be open FREE to the public.
The Highmark Legacy Square Gates (located in left field off General Robinson Street) will open to the general public beginning at 2:30 p.m. Sections 1 to 138 will be accessible for fans to view the home team’s batting practice and
fielding drills. Select concession stands will be open to fans during the workouts.
April 5, 2012 (Opening Day Festivities)
Fans will receive a Pirates 2012 Magnetic Schedule compliments of PNC Bank at the gates.
Fan of the Game: Sister Mary Bride Diamond, a member of the Pittsburgh’s Sisters of Charity for over 59 years
will be honored today as the Pirates Fan of the Game. Her one “bucket list” item is to be on the field at PNC
surrounded by the Pirates, her favorite team.
Color Guard: Representatives of the United States Military, including members who have recently returned home
from serving our country overseas will present the colors before today’s game.
First Pitch: Representing the Wounded Warriors Project– a non-profit group that works tirelessly on behalf of
wounded servicemen and women– is Pittsburgh’s own, Jeremy Feldbusch who was injured during a tour of duty in
Iraq. Feldbusch, an Army Ranger, was injured when his unit came under fire and an I.E.D. exploded causing him
to lose his sight. He will be a special guest of Pirates Chairman of the Board, Bob Nutting.
What’s New at PNC Park in 2012
- Budweiser Bowtie Bar – As part of a new multi-year sponsorship agreement with Budweiser, the Pirates and ARAMARK will debut the Budweiser Bowtie Bar at PNC Park this season. Located at the top of section 101, the bar and lounge area is open to all ticket holders. Private groups of 50 or more have the option to rent a portion of the space with hospitality included on game days and nongame days.
The Bowtie Bar features: An expansive “U” shaped bar will be a focal point in the right field corner. An open floor plan overlooking right field, as well as the Allegheny River and Downtown Pittsburgh cityscape. Six flat screen HD televisions to ensure fans don’t miss the game action. Expanded covered patio space with glass wall to protect fans from weather. The bar will serve premium draft and craft beers, including AnheuserBusch products, as well as top shelf, well drinks, wine and frozen drinks. Portable carving station featuring cheese steak with Ms. Vickie’s Kettle Chips, as well as jumbo hot dogs, nacho supreme, pretzel and peanuts.
- Diamond Pizza Side Walk Café Style Seating – Located underneath the left field bleachers, Diamond Pizza has expanded to include café style seating where fans can now sit and enjoy pizza, calzones and other menu options inside the ballpark.
- No Fees Portable Ticket Kiosks – Fans can now go to any one of 24 portable ticket kiosks placed outside of the ballpark to purchase game tickets or to print out Will Call tickets that were already purchased online or over the phone. New this season, the Pirates have waived all fees associated with any transaction done on the kiosks.
- Dynamic Priced Tickets – New for the 2012 season. The Pirates have introduced dynamic ticket pricing for Bleacher General Admission seating at PNC Park. Tickets for the approximately 1,400 Bleacher General Admission seats will be put on sale 10 days prior to each home game. The initial ticket price will then be adjusted — both lower and higher — in real-time, based on ticket availability and other changing factors. More information on the Dynamic Ticket programs can be found online at www.pirates.com/dynamic.
- Kids’ Priced Tickets – Kids’ priced tickets can be purchased at up to $7 off the regular price for kids 14 and younger in selected areas of the ballpark with the purchase of a regularly priced ticket in that same section.
- Buc Day – The Pirates are offering a limited number of $1 tickets for the game against the St. Louis Cardinals on August 22. Fans can also purchase $1 hot dogs and popcorn. All children 14 and younger will receive a Pirates cap.
New Foods —
- Meatball Mania is a new spin on an old fan favorite that’s been added to the PNC Park menu, located in Gunner’s Lounge this season, featuring a skewer of six meatballs, two each of the following three delicious flavors: Traditional beef meatball with marinara, Chicken meatball with green chile verde, Thai pork meatball with ginger-soy barbecue
- Italian Meatball Panini pressed with marinara and provolone.
- Open Faced Beef Brisket Stack piled on Yukon gold potatoes and thick Texas toast.
- Roasted Turkey Flatbread Sandwiches with chipotle ranch sauce.
- Pulled Pork, a fan favorite tossed in Levy signature BBQ sauce.
- Thai Chile Burger with Niman ranch seasoned pork and beef patty topped with Asian slaw.
- Bucco Nacho — The new signature nacho features lime tortilla chips topped with nacho cheese, homemade smoked jalapeño peach salsa, cilantro crème fraiche, and ground beef. (Located in sections 108, 122 and 128)
(General Robinson Grill)
- Reuben Dog – An all-beef hot dog with Thousand Island dressing, Swiss cheese and sauerkraut.
- Smokehouse Dog – An all-beef hot dog with house smoked pulled pork, homemade onion straws and KC style BBQ.
- Polish Hill Dog – An all-beef hot dog with slaw, mini potato pierogies and homemade onion straws.
- Also serving Jumbo Cajun Fries.
(Just 4 U Stands)
New healthy options concession stand designed for health conscious guests and those
with special dietary restrictions. Options include:
- Gluten Free, Kosher Hot Dog
- Gluten Free Nacho served with Salsa
- Gourmet Grilled Cheese (Brie with fruit compote) and Grilled Veggie Toaster (Seasonal grilled veggies) served on gluten free bread and toasted on a panini press.
- Tomato & Mozzarella Salad with baby mozzarella and oven dried grape tomatoes tossed in fresh basil and a balsamic dressing.
- Grilled Veggie Salad with grilled veggies topped with a balsamic reduction.
- Gluten free, Kosher, Vegan Sweet Potato Chips
- Fresh Fruit Cup
The trendy South Side restaurant, Nakama Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar, is now serving at PNC Park. Located in Pops Plaza on the main concourse at PNC Park, fans can now enjoy what has been voted the best sushi in Pittsburgh for eight years running by Pittsburgh Magazine.
- Menu items include a variety of sushi rolls, Nigiri, Sashimi, Hibachi (steak, chicken, or shrimp), Diablo (steak, chicken, or shrimp), Egg Rolls and a variety of sides.
(Chickie’s & Pete’s)
Chickie’s and Pete’s are now serving their famous crabfries in section 132. The crinkle cut fry seasoned with a secret blend of spices is served with a white cheese sauce.