Good afternoon from Bright House Field in Clearwater, Florida.
- The Pirates are set to take on the Philadelphia Phillies at 1:05 today. Right-hander James McDonald will start for the Bucs against lefty Cole Hamels.
- McDonald, 27, is making his second start of the Grapefruit League season this afternoon. McDonald allowed two runs on two hits over two innings with a walk and a strikeout in his last outing against the Blue Jays.
- Following McDonald in relief are Justin Wilson, Daniel Moskos, Jared Hughes, Bryan Morris and Mike Crotta.
- The game will re-air at 4 PM ET on MLB Network.
- Pirates lineup:
Alex Presley 7, Josh Harrison 6, Casey McGehee 5, Rod Barajas 2, Matt Hague 3, Nate McLouth 8, Gorkys Hernandez 9 Chase d’Arnaud 4, James McDonald 1
- Extras: Jeff Clement, Robbie Grossman, Anderson Hernandez, Brandon Boggs, Ramon Cabrera, Yamiaco Navarro, Tony Sanchez, Nick Evans, Starling Marte, Jordy Mercer, Jake Fox and Eric Fryer.
- Phillies lineup:
Jimmy Rollins 6, Placido Polanco 5, Shane Victorino 8, Jim Thome DH, Hunter Pence 9, Ty Wigginton 4, John Mayerry Jr. 3, Laynce Nix 7, Brian Schneider 2
- The Pirates will play the Red Sox under the lights in Fort Myer tomorrow at 7:05 PM. Shairon Martis will start for the Bucs against Clay Bucholz. Tony Watson, Daniel McCutchen, Chris Resop, Doug Slaten, Ryota Igarashi and Tim Wood will follow in relief.
- There will be a B game at Pirate City on Saturday. The game will be a full nine-inning and start at 10 AM. They will face the Minnesota Twins B squad. Chris Leroux, Duke Welker, Evan Meek, Jose Diaz, Mike Crotta and Daniel Cabrera are expected to pitch for the Pirates.
- Pirates first round pick (No. 1 overall) in the 2011 draft Gerrit Cole was the first to be cut from Major League camp today. After being told the news, Cole was walking around the clubhouse shaking the players hands and even joked saying, “I’ve been fired. It’s alright.”
- Pretty cool moment on the field a little bit ago when right-hander Michael Dubee, who is an extra arm in the ‘pen from minor league camp, was chatting with his Dad on the field. Dubee’s father is the Phillies pitching coach (Rich).
- Others that traveled with the club from minor league camp: pitchers Eliecer Navarro, Brian Tallet, infielder Brock Holt and outfielder Willy Garcia.